Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)



Title: Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)
Author: Wendy Higgins
Pages: 371
Publication Date: April 30th, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen

The Basic Summary: Anna White used to be your typical good girl. Now? Not so much. After finding out that her father, Belial, is a demon, everything she thought she knew about herself and the world has changed. In order to keep herself safe, Anna must carry out her father's work - mainly tempting others into sin by getting them to drink. Anna, however, is different from the other Nephilim. How? She's prophesied to be the girl saves the world, and defeats the demons. Join Anna, Belial, and old and new friends as they continue on their quest to save the world.


My Review: I can't tell if the writing got worse, or if I've just gotten more critical of the books I read. Either way, this book was just kind of.. Average. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything that would stick out in my mind. I'm writing this review a day after I finished reading this book, and I'm already starting to forget what happened. There were a few spots that had some very unexciting action, but mainly this book was about Anna and Kaidan denying their love for each other until they finally suck it the hell up and work things out. I honestly don't have much to say about this one because it was boring. I was so disappointed after reading this because it just didn't live up to the amazingness that was Sweet Evil. The entire book basically went:

Anna parties with people
Anna feels guilty about partying with people
Belial sends Anna and Kope to go recruit Nephs for their cause
Anna pines after Kaidan
Kaidan tells Anna to screw off
Anna does something that Kaidan finds offensive. Awkwardness follows.
Anna continues to pine after Kaidan
Anna visits Kaidan
Anna and Kaidan pine after each other not so secretly
*spoilery stuff that I won't share. Read the book ;D*
Kope and Kaidan go on a mission
*lots and lots of drama. This scene actually made me sad. When it happened, I was just like "NO BABY COME BACK! LET ME LOVE YOU!"
HAPPILY EVER AFTER! Sort of.

So basically it's kind of like Sweet Evil but watered down and not as exciting. I think that I built this book up in my head, and by the time I finally got the book, I had it on such a high pedestal that there was no possible way that this book wouldn't disappoint me. While I think this book was boring, I do take full responsibility for my part in the disappointment. Either way, read it and tell me what y'all think about it.

My Overall Opinion: I didn't hate this book, but I didn't love it either. It was just a meh for me. Even then, I'd still recommend the book to anyone who asks for an angel story that doesn't read like a bad Stephenie Meyer novel *AHEM* FALLEN was that mean? That was mean. At least the concept of the book is original, and the writing is eloquent enough that it can keep you interested.



No comments:

Post a Comment