Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Unleashed by Nancy Holder

Unleashed (Wolf Springs Chronicles, #1)
Title: Unleashed
Author: Nancy Holder
Pages: 382
Publication Date: November 22, 2011
Publisher: Delacorte Books

The Basic Summary: After the death of Katelyn McBride's mother, Katelyn goes to live with her Grandfather in Arkansas where she quickly realizes that something is amiss in the small town of Wolf Springs. As Katelyn tries to adjust to a new life in a strange place, she must also discover the secrets that the town is hiding.

My Review: Have any of you ever had that moment where you start a book with hope that it might be a good book, only to have those hopes bludgeoned over the head with a two by four? Yes? Then you probably know how I feel. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but I was expecting something entertaining, and this book failed to deliver. I'm sure you can all guess what the book is about just from looking at the cover (isn't the cover gorgeous?). If not, then I'll help you out and tell you. It's about werewolves, and this is one of the major things that pissed me the heck off. Any person with a brain in their head would know what the secret of Wolf Springs is. Seriously. It's even in the name of the town. Did Katelyn know this though? Nope. When she saw and heard werewolves, she just kinda went "Eh. Big dogs!" or she'd assume that the howling was from a group camping in the woods trying to release their inner wolves yes, it was as stupid as it sounds. No one is that stupid. I don't care who you are, where you're from, or what you do. It is not possible to be as stupid as Holder made Katelyn. We start the novel off with Katelyn watching her mother die. Sad, right? Yea, no. Holder does this thing where instead of showing you and letting you  come to your own conclusions, she just kind of.. tells you. I didn't feel particularly sad about her mother dying because the scene wasn't written in a way that would make the reader feel any kind of sympathy. After her mother dies, Katelyn goes off to live with her Grandfather, and things just go downhill from there. While in Wolf Springs, Katelyn makes a new friend named Cordelia who happens to have a crazy family. I know what you're thinking, they can't be that bad, right? Wrong. The first thing one of Cordelia's sisters said to Katelyn? "It looks like a stranger." The first thing the other sister said? "Smells like a stranger," all of this while circling around Katelyn like predators. Any normal person would have hightailed it out of there, but since Katelyn is an idiot, she just kind of stayed. Cordelia's dad is crazy as well, but he's more of a sneak-up-behind-you-and-stab-you-in-the-back crazy than a run-towards-you-with-an-ax-screaming-like-a-banshee crazy like Cordelia's sisters. They're all crazy, just different brands. I think my biggest issue with this book was that you never really saw Katelyn grow as a person. We get told that she's grown, but you never really witness it. Katelyn says stupid things, lies, and makes incredibly stupid mistakes throughout the book, but she doesn't ever learn any lessons. Everyone just forgives her for her screw-up and she moves on to something new. Basically, nothing in this book was believable. If I read a book, I want to be able to see character development. I want to see the character realize that his/her actions are stupid, and I want to see that character evolve. I don't want to read a bok about a character that refuses to take responsibility for their actions, and I don't want to be told that the character has grown as a person when it's clear that the character has not grown.

My Overall Opinion: I know it doesn't seem like it in this review, but I hated this book with  fiery burning passion. If you're looking for a good book, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. If you're looking for fluff that you don't have to think about, this book is perfect for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment