Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Diviners by Libba Bray


The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
Title: The Diviners
Author: Libba Bray
Pages: 578
Publication Date: September 18, 2012
Publisher: Little, Brown Books

The Basic Summary: The year is 1926 and Evie O'Neill is dying to escape her boring life in Zenith, Ohio. After an itsy bitsy psychic reading incident, she finally gets her wish. When Evie is sent to go live with her uncle in the New York City, and she knows that everything is about to change, and she's thrilled. Well... up until the murders start. Follow Evie, Uncle Will, and Jericho as they work to catch the murderer before it's too late. Dun dun DUUUUUUN I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself!

My Review: Oh god. I hated this book so much. I tried so hard to love this book, but I just couldn't force myself to do it. It wasn't that the writing was bad, because it wasn't. In fact, it was amazing. I love the world the Libbra Bray created, and I think that she's incredibly talented, but this book just did not do it for me. My main issue with this book revolves around Evie (this in itself was problematic because, well, Evie is the main character, meaning that there is no way to escape her stupidity). I kept hoping that at some point Evie would mature and stop being such a selfish cow, but that never really happened. It's like she didn't understand that her selfish actions could hurt other people, so when she would go out and do stupid reckless shit, or lie to people, she was only thinking about how it could help her. It's like she had a death wish throughout the entire book, and every time someone told her not to do something because it would put her and her whichever one of her poor friends that she tricked into following her in danger, she'd do it anyway. I understand being a reckless teen. Really, I do. I've done some incredibly stupid things like jumping out of a moving car that I regret sort of a lot, but nothing I've done is anywhere near as stupid as the things Evie would do. Unlike most people, Evie didn't learn from her mistakes. She would do something incredibly stupid, get reprimanded, and then go out and do another stupid thing just for kicks. She had no boundaries, no common sense, and no sense of self preservation. Basically, she was just incredibly stupid. I honestly think that if the main character had been Theta, Jericho, Uncle Will, or basically anyone other than Evie, I would have adored this book. But it wasn't, and I didn't. I honestly wish that I  hadn't spent my money on this book, and I really don't want to read the next one in the series. I love Libba Bray, and I normally love her books, but this one did not do it for me. Just goes to show that it only takes one thing to ruin what could be a great book.

My Overall Opinion: If I completely forget about Evie and all of her stupidity, this book is amazing. The world building was amazing, and Bray used slang that was relevant at the time, which in turn made the book even more amazing. Unfortunately, Evie was in the book, and she ruined it for me. If you're able to look past a character doing incredibly stupid things throughout the entire story, then read this book. I really wanted to love it, but I just couldn't get past how obnoxious Evie was.

No comments:

Post a Comment